Southampton, ON – With Covid-19 driving a slice into the early part of the 2020 season, Golf Ontario is excited to finally get underway with our first of nine Golf Ontario provincial championships. Teeing off the season, we will be welcoming the Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ Championship to Saugeen Golf Club on July 27th to 30th.
“We are thrilled to be finally kicking off our 2020 competitive season, and doing so at Saugeen Golf Club for the Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ Championship”, says Executive Director of Golf Ontario, Mike Kelly. “I’d like to thank our athletes for their patience as our team here at Golf Ontario implements new policies and procedures to deal with the challenging circumstances of this season. Our main focus is ensuring the well-being of our athletes, staff and volunteers and we look forward to safely welcoming everyone in the coming weeks. We are also excited to have introduced a Front Line Workers donation program this year as part of our registration process, to give back to the local communities we will be playing in”, continued Kelly. The Front Line Workers donations from the Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ Championship will be donated to the Saugeen Memorial Hospital Foundation. Due to a limited field size, a maximum of 114 players will be battling for the top spot. The Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ Championship will consist of athletes from the following three qualifiers: Black Bear Ridge Golf Course (July 13), Silver Lakes Golf & Country Club (July 14), and Cambridge Golf Club (July 19). For leaderboard information on qualifiers, please click the golf course name. Golf Ontario will also recognize the Juvenile (U17) champion at this competition.
As Saugeen Golf Club celebrates its 95th anniversary of their Legacy course, General Manager, Brad Young, said “it’s a tremendous honour to be hosting the Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ Championship and the aura that it represents. This will be the first Championship Saugeen GC has ever hosted, making it a phenomenal opportunity to put our club on the map, which we’re very excited for”. Young also commented that the “Master Superintendent and staff have really turned the place around over the years and the greens are in absolutely perfect shape”. The players will play the Sunrise and Legacy courses, which are approximately “6,408 yards with very tricky greens”. Just like many other courses this season, Young has noticed a spike in Junior play from last year and is “looking forward to helping support the promising Junior growth that has been seen with Golf Ontario and Golf Canada”.
Last year’s champion of the Ontario Junior (U19) Boys Championship, Ashton McCulloch (Cataraqui G&CC), will be returning to defend the title. Also returning to battle for the title is 2018 champion, Nolan Piazza (Cherry Hill Club). With McCulloch scoring 72-72-69-68-281 and Piazza scoring 73-69-69-71-282, it should be a good showing. Winner of the 2019 Ontario Bantam (U15) Boys’ Championship, Andreas Diogenous (Whistle Bear GC), will be another player to watch for. Team Ontario members to keep an eye on include: Ashton McCulloch (Cataraqui GC), Ben MacLean (St. Catherine’s G&CC), Peter Blazevic (Markland Wood GC), Luke DelGobbo (Lookout Point GC), Jeffrey Fang (Station Creek GC – North), Michael Ikejiani (Barrie CC) and Thomas Latter (Credit Valley GC)
First tee off of the day for round 1 on July 27th is set for 7:30 a.m. To follow the leaderboard, click here.
About the Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ Championship
First contested in 1923, the Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ Championship is open to male golfers 18 years of age and under, who have earned entry through one of our qualifiers held across the province or earned exemptions from prior achievements. The event consists of 72 holes of stroke play competition. Past winners of the event include: Gerry Kesselring, Gary Cowan, Stu Hamilton, Mike Weir, Jon Mills and Albin Choi.
Key Provincial Competitions Protocols/Restrictions (subject to change)
- No caddies permitted. (all events)
- No spectators, including coaches and media, permitted. (**Exception: Players 18 & Under may have one accompanying adult)
- No motorized carts permitted. (**Exception: Single rider carts only for Senior & Disability Championships)
- All events will be a single tee start – no shotguns or split tees.
- Restricted field numbers. (see individual championships)
- Qualifiers will have limited field sizes. Entries will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
Click here for the full version of the Championship protocols. **These protocols are subject to change as new guidance is received from the government.
To stay informed on Golf Ontario’s championship play, events, and additional updates, make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and like us on Facebook.
For more information please contact:
Brianna Christopher, Assistant, Marketing Communications.
Peter MacKellar, Manager, Marketing and Communications.