Uxbridge, ON – Every year, Golf Ontario conducts multiple amateur championships in the province of Ontario. As part of our registration process, we normally include the opportunity for golfers to donate to a cause. Historically, these donations have gone to support junior golf in Ontario.
This year, with the many challenges COVID-19 has presented, we felt it was important to give back in a different way. During registration for the 2020 championship season, we offered golfers the opportunity to donate to Frontline Workers. All funds generated through these donations would then be divided up and given back equally to a local hospital in each of our championship communities.
“2020 has been a unique year for competitive golf and it was important to us to develop safety protocols that allowed us to conduct a championship season”, said Golf Ontario’s Manager of Sport, Mallory Dayman. Reflecting on the season, “each of our participants, volunteers and staff stayed vigilant to those protocols throughout each event ensuring a safe environment for all. We cannot thank our host clubs and their communities enough for welcoming Ontario golfers this season, and it’s the least we can do to support the frontline workers locally by making these donations supported by the players.”
These are challenging times for everyone, and we are extremely proud and thankful to recognize the amazing work that our Frontline Workers have been doing throughout this pandemic. Through the contributions of our championship players, as well as the amazing golf facilities that hosted our championships this year, we are proud of the funds we have raised to support Frontline Workers.
Golf Ontario has matched these donations to ensure that we were giving back to the hospitals in our championship communities in a meaningful way. We are pleased to announce donations to each of the following hospital foundations:
- Saugeen Memorial Hospital Foundation, on behalf of Saugeen Golf Club
- Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation, on behalf of Dalewood Golf Club
- Tillsonburg District Memorial Hospital, on behalf of Otter Creek Golf Club
- Headwaters Health Care Foundation, on behalf on Shelburne Golf and Country Club
- Cambridge Memorial Hospital Foundation, on behalf of Cambridge Golf Club
- Markham Stouffville Hospital Foundation, on behalf of Meadowbrook Golf Club
- South Muskoka Hospital Foundation, on behalf of Taboo Muskoka Resort & Golf
- Lennox & Addington County General Hospital, on behalf of Loyalist Country Club
- Stevenson Memorial Hospital Foundation, on behalf of Woodington Lake Golf Club
Rhonda Cunningham, Executive Director for the Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation was delighted when the news came through of the donation. “What a lovely email to receive on a dreary Monday morning! Thank you so much for supporting our frontlines with this meaningful donation.”
If you missed the chance to donate during the registration process, or would like to make a donation now, please view the links provided.
To stay informed on Golf Ontario’s championship play, events, and additional updates, make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and like us on Facebook. Make sure to visit our website for further information.
For more information please contact:
Brianna Christopher, Assistant, Marketing Communications.
Peter MacKellar, Manager, Marketing and Communications.