Springfield, ON – Tarandowah Golfers Club proves a worthy host for Ontario’s top Public Players, as Brooks and Sinden (+1) sit tied for the lead in the A flight gross competition. Penney (-3) leads the B flight net competition, while Martin, Roberts, and Scanlon (-1) hold a 3-way tie for C Flight lead.
Open only to players of the Golf Ontario Public Player Program and members of a semi-public golf course, the Baka Ontario Public Amateur Championship presented by Triple Bogey, has players competing in three separate flights. Players in the A flight are competing in a gross competition, while the B and C flights are competing in a net competition. Players in the B flight will also be eligible for the overall A flight, as they play from the same tees.
On a perfect day for golf, the players took to the beautiful links-style masterpiece that is Tarandowah Golfers Club. Protected by hidden bunkers and wrinkled greens, players in all flights had to be creative with their shots. Competitors who were able to stay out of trouble were able to score well.
- In the gross A flight, Michael Brooks and Griffin Sinden were able to post +1 (71) scores to take the day one lead, ahead of 3 players (Chad Cowan, Devin Bartlett, and Peter Willis) close behind at +2 (72).
- In the net B flight, Eric Penney fired an impressive 3-under (67) to take the lead, followed closely by 3 players (Kyle Stolys, Derek Baird, and Colin Edwards) who carded even par scores (70).
- For the net C flight, 3 players were able to post net scores of 1-under (69) with Ben Martin, Jeff Roberts, and Vincent Scanlon sharing the round one lead, one stroke ahead of Mike Murphy.
Tomorrow’s final round will begin at 8:00am with the C-flight going off first, followed by the B and then A flights to determine our winners. For scoring, make sure to visit our Golf Genius page. For media coverage of the Baka Ontario Public Amateur Championship presented by Triple Bogey, please visit the Golf Ontario Facebook page and view photo albums.
About The Baka Public Amateur Championship
The Baka Public Amateur Championship was first played in 1958 at Don Valley Golf Club. Past winners include: Ken Trowbridge (1970), 2018 Ontario Golf Hall of Fame inductee Dave Bunker (2009, 2010) and Craig Loughry who has won a record four times (1997, 2001, 2005, 2006). Play of the tournament was suspended from 1984-1995. Mill Run Golf and Country Club (Uxbridge, ON) has hosted the tournament a record 9 times.
The Baka Public Amateur Championship provides the perfect opportunity for those interested in trying a competitive tournament while providing gross and net flights. This allows higher handicap players to play against players in their handicap grouping.
Stay Connected on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook: @TheGolfOntario
To stay informed on Golf Ontario’s championship play, events, and additional updates, make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and like us on Facebook. Make sure to visit our website for further information.
Key Provincial Competitions Protocols/Restrictions (as of July 21st, **subject to change)
- At all times, and in all places, 2-metre physical distancing should be respected.
- Coaches and spectators are permitted at Golf Ontario Championships and Qualifiers with capacity limits. Spectators must check in at registration, complete a wellness check and pick up accreditation before being allowed on the course.
For more information please contact:
Assistant, Marketing Communications, Golf Ontario;
Manager, Marketing and Communications, Golf Ontario;